Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Work in Progress: "Laura; in-class model"

Gouache on paper 10"x14"

Working from a posed model in class is the most challenging of assignments that I've encountered. it doesn't matter whether they are dressed or nude, the challenges that arise have to do with seeing and rendering and falling into bad habits of practice. Proportion, perspective, value, surface, texture, composition.... every last bit of the elements of drawing come into play in this exercise. I have struggled with this, and generally wish to hide any in-class work.

Last night was the exception. I had been playing with some Gouache for a few weeks and was just about to trash them because I was unable to find beauty in the application. The results were chalky flat dry marks in all of my previous efforts.

I had always admired the work of a fellow student Chris, in my Tuesday portrait painting class with Patrick Carter at SMFA. Last night I decided to ask Chris how he does it; every last step of his process.... I copied it, and here are my results:


The model will return next week in the same pose and outfit so we may finish the work. I am really pleased with this piece so far... maybe her head is a little big, and her right hand is wrong... but the rest is quite lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment